Part of working in a community is supporting that community. We are dedicated to working together to strengthen the communities where we operate.
The Church & Dwight Employee Giving Fund, Inc. (“EGF”) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which supports charitable organizations primarily in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania, the region where our corporate headquarters is located and where many of our employees reside. The EGF is a workplace giving program, supported by employee contributions, which are matched dollar for dollar by Church & Dwight Co., Inc. The EGF provides our employees with the means to financially assist those who are less fortunate, to actively support and participate in the good works of not-for-profit organizations dedicated to that end, and to direct our contributions to their preferred charitable organizations.
Since its start in 2005, the EGF has evolved its scope and through employee volunteers is responsible for many philanthropic endeavors including the following:
- Administration of the annual fundraising and grant evaluation process which has awarded almost 1500 grants totaling about $8.8 Million since inception.
- Coordination of employee volunteering activities throughout the year, including EGF’s Annual Week of Service that had over 375 employees donate over 700 hours of service in our surrounding communities.
- Management of charitable collections throughout the year, including backpacks for back-to-school in August and Toys for Tots™ in December.
- Sponsorship of charitable fundraising efforts of individual employees and some of our partner agencies.
Our grant review committee, made up of a cross-section of volunteer employees, assess grants using some of the following guidelines:
- The EGF only rewards grants to organizations that have been designated as 501(c)(3) non-profits by the federal government.
- Heavy emphasis is placed upon organizations that have Church & Dwight Co., Inc. employee sponsors.
- In most cases, grants are only awarded to non-profits who provide direct programming where our employees live and work, primarily in the New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania region near our Corporate Headquarters.
- Our annual grants do not exceed $12,000 each and our average grant awarded in 2016 was approximately $6,500.
The timeline for the EGF’s annual grant process is generally as follows:
- February: Applications made available via this website at the following link
- Mid-April: Application deadline for all organizations seeking financial support
- May-August: EGF Grant Application review process
- September-October: Notification and distribution of grant awards
Each November, we invite employees to dedicate a portion of their paychecks to the EGF. Employees who participate at high levels are rewarded with additional time off and all contributions are matched dollar for dollar by the company — with no cap. In addition to payroll deductions, we conduct workplace drives and fundraisers year round. In 2016, Church & Dwight opened a company store at our Ewing, NJ headquarters and 5% of all purchases go straight to the EGF to help fund our charitable activities.
Church & Dwight employees regularly volunteer with EGF grantee organizations throughout the community. Each June, we host a Week of Service during which all employees are invited to participate in company-sponsored service opportunities. Our 2016 Week of Service projects included packing over 1500 lunches and serving almost 500 hot meals for the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen; packing 300 care packages for our military men and women serving overseas; sorting donations for the homeless at the Rescue Mission of Trenton; assisting with the setup of the New Jersey Special Olympics Summer Games; and helping to revitalize the gardens at Isles in Trenton.. At the culmination of the week, we hosted our popular EGF Organization Showcase at Church & Dwight headquarters, during which EGF grantees were invited to share information on their organizations and educate employees on more ways to get involved.
HomeFront NJ, a local nonprofit that provides services for homeless youth and families in Central New Jersey, is one of EGF’s signature partners. Each year the EGF supports HomeFront NJ’s work through both grants and volunteerism. In 2016, we continued two annual traditions as Church & Dwight employees served a holiday dinner to homeless families and volunteered at HomeFront’s Camp Mercer — a summer day camp for homeless youth.